Friday, July 24, 2009

I have a work computer running Microsoft Windows that I pretty much only use for email, since the company email is on Microsoft Exchange. The administration of that computer is done remotely by company IT, and it's been getting pretty slow with all the crap that they keep installing on it. Recently, whenever restarting the computer, it comes to a halt with a dialog window with title "SetWallpaper" saying "Invalid Image" or something. I've never set any wallpaper or anything like that for that computer, so what is that junk? I have to click on the button on the window to get past that before anything else happens. There is also other crap that trying to dereference a null pointer, and a window comes up saying a program tried to access memory at 0x000000F or something like that.

Which reminds me that there are low-level issues that I'm glad I don't have to deal with when using Java (or other good programming languages), such as pointer arithmetic, memory aliasing, or manual memory management. And I also don't miss other low level mechanisms, such as setjmp/longjmp.

Back to corporate annoyances, the HR department comes up with these initiatives with required participation, and they have their own web applications with their own passwords. And these passwords have different restrictions and requirements with regards to capitalized and uncapitalized letters, numbers, and punctuation, which means I can't use the password I use for the Microsoft Windows login. So I never remember the passwords I that I have to use. So every time I have to log into this or that HR application, I have to go to the forgot password page and get a temporary password sent to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment