Saturday, May 9, 2009

I recently realized that there are some languages that are relatively popular, yet I've never found compelling enough to even play with. They are Ruby and Python.

I work with Java. I've played around with JavaScript quite a bit. In the past, I've played around with scheme, which JavaScript reminds me much of, particularly how they both encourage continuation passing style. JavaScript doesn't have call-with-current-continuation, though.

In the past, I've done a little with C++, and a lot with C. I've also used FORTRAN77 and Fortran90 extensively, as well as a little bit of HPF, until I gave up on the buggy compiler.

I started out with BASIC and 6502 machine code and assembly. I played with 68000 assembly for a summer.

In more scripting type languages, I've used perl quite a bit. As an emacs user, I've found emacs lisp quite handy. I used to use M-ESC quite a bit before it got changed to M-: (eval-expression), which I now use, and is my desktop calculator. When I played with tcl, though, I'd be writing in C, and it was more like sh. I've never even tried to use csh.

I've liked the syntax of Haskell, Standard ML, and OCaML, and loved their type systems. I played with Scala a little, recapturing some of the feel of those strongly-typed functional languages. I never tried using erlang, though. I've even fiddled with J, the ASCII-based APL derivative that looks like line noise.

I've dabbled in Objective C, but not Smalltalk. I've experimented with Sather, but not Eiffel. I played with Ada 95 a little. I've played with Pascal some. The only Computer Science class I'd ever taken taught Pascal. The only other computer class that I've taken was FORTRAN77 for physics students.

I've played with lots of computer languages, yet I've still never touched Python, which I've known about for a long time, or Ruby, which I've known about for less.

No comments:

Post a Comment