Friday, June 5, 2009

One occasional annoyance is people coming to me and saying the build is broken because I happened to be the last person to check something in. One time, my last checkin was over a week old. Invariably, if they make a clean build, the problem goes away.

It makes me wonder how the people where I work handle source control and their builds.

When I build, I always make a clean build. Computers are fast enough these days to not have to deal with incremental builds. I almost always make a build before checking anything in. That's why I don't expect broken builds due to my checkins. It doesn't bother me if someone else's checkin breaks the build. I can either get the previous version of the affected files, or I can edit the files to make them compile so that I can continue my work. It usually gets fixed quickly enough.

I also keep my local sources updated with the repository. I always update, merging any changes, before building and checking in. I also update multiple times a day when not checking anything in.

I have also been called over for some build problem or some other problem that ultimately was caused by someone updating part of their source tree, causing their copy of the source code to be inconsistent. I don't know why people do things like that. Maybe it's some feature the IDE they use that causes that.

No comments:

Post a Comment